Got Knots and Tension In Your Back?
Did you know your back and neck may be filled with tight knots of tension right now? These little tight spots are also known as trigger points, and have been targeted by massage therapists and acupuncturists for centuries. As the study of the nervous system developed, many researchers noticed that manipulation of these points caused effects throughout the body. This led to the development of the practice known as trigger point therapy. If you need painful muscle aches relieved, a set of therapy sessions at Serenity UTC Medical Centers can make a big difference in how you feel.
What Causes A Trigger Point To Become Activated?
Many patients are surprised to find they have numerous knots across their back or neck when they first visit our Austin office. Current research shows that there are an estimated 620 points on the human body that can become trigger points. These little knots can compress nerves, especially if the trigger points are located along the spine or in the neck. These points can become tensed for many reasons, including:
- Muscle overload on a daily basis or after a traumatic event
- Chronic stress and anxiety
- Trauma to the muscle due to strains, tears, or serious impacts
- Car accidents and sports injuries
- Poor posture and bad ergonomics at work
How Do I Know If I Have Trigger Point Issues Or Another Condition?
We will examine you for the tender nodes in the muscle that can be identified as a trigger point. If we do find trigger points, you may still have other conditions causing pain and inflammation that need treatment as well.
What Treatments Are Available For Trigger Point Therapy?
Our therapeutic programs combine multiple treatment methods to ensure your irritation, inflammation, andmuscle stiffness is resolved as quickly as possible. These therapies include:
- Myotherapy, which can involve deep tissue massage or a tapping pressure
- Vibration exercises to relax tensed muscles all at once
- Electrostimulation through a safe TENS unit
- Massage therapy to work out the knots
- Assisted and home stretching to improve muscle tone
- Injections to help break down the scar tissue, relax and heal the affected muscle
Since our team includes a medical doctor, chiropractor, and experienced massage therapists, we can provide a full range of services without sending you out of the office. If you have been struggling with trigger point tenderness, we may be able to pinpoint the muscles involved and relax the tension.