Migraines May Strike Unexpectedly, So Be Ready
Do you have migraines? If you do, you are not alone. Over 28 million people experience migraine headaches each year. This nervous system disorder is not yet fully understood, but we do have the treatments necessary to help you deal with these attack. Waiting until your next migraine headaches to find help is a mistake. Call Serenity UTC Medical Centers today! With a little preemptive care, you may be able to spend months or even years free from migraine headaches.
What Are Migraine Headaches?
While a migraine does involve a headache, it is far more complex than simply the usual headache pain. Migraine headaches are far more severe and can last days, even causing vision disturbances, nausea and vomiting, discoordination, light sensitivity, and facial drooping. You can seek treatment at our Austin clinic to deal with a current migraine or see us occasionally to help prevent them from developing in the first place.
Migraine Headaches Symptoms
There is an entire collection of symptoms that indicate you are dealing with migraine headaches rather than just basic pain. Our patients all experience one or more symptoms that include:
- Depression and irritability one to two days before the migraine starts.
- Yawning that is uncontrollable
- Stiffness of the neck
- Loss of vision and phenomenon like flashing lights
- Throbbing or regional head pain
- Indigestion and vomiting
- Fainting or feelings of lightheadedness
- Difficulty with spoken or written communication
Cause of Migraine Headaches
Research has just begun into the intricacies of the nervous system and how a migraine affects it. However, there are some common triggers and potential causes that patients and doctors alike have identified. Your migraines may be the result of:
- Blood sugar fluctuations
- Interrupted or unusual sleeping patterns
- Hormonal imbalances and changes
- Monosodium glutamate (MSG), nitrates, or the compound known as tyramine
- A wide range of food allergies
- Alcohol or drug addiction
- Brain chemical imbalances
- Dehydration and electrolyte issues
- Gender – Female patients are more likely to experience this condition than males
- Diet – Eating lots of aged cheeses, processed meats, and red wine
- Medications – Many antidepressants or vasodilators can affect the brain
Migraine Headaches Treatment Options
Many patients resort to damaging and overwhelming pain killing medications when their symptoms set in. Avoid the side effects of these drugs with safer care in the form of:
- Neuromodulators such as Botox to relax triggering muscles
- Lifestyle recommendations to help you avoid common triggers
- Testing for food allergies and environmental sensitivities
- Tissue manipulation and trigger point therapy to relax tight spots that could be causing the reaction
- Spinal care that could relieve nerve pressure
Migraine Headache Consultation
If you are suffering from migraine headaches, we can provide specialized treatment plans for migraine headaches in Austin and can help you understand where your symptoms are coming from and what it will take to improve.